Upgrade your Digi Zigbee radio to the latest mesh revision
Q. How do I upgrade the firmware on my zigbee modem if I want to take advantage of the new mesh networking features?
A. If you have a zigbee chip, either a PRO or Std version you can mount this on one of Digi’s protyping PCBs with either serial port or a USB connection. I like the USB one as it is self powered and the connection is so easy.
Upgrading modules to the latest firmware Digi radio modems support field firmware upgrades. The upgrade process requires the Digi interface board (supplied in a development kit or a PKG product) and a PC with a Windows OS use XP if you can.
One of the reasons you might want to upgrade the firmware is because the XCTU software reported the following error message:
Unable to find configuration file for modem (firmware version B43B). Please check website or call technical support for updates. Read parameters..Failed.
Instructions for upgrading the radio modem firmware:
- Remove any old copies of XCTU you may have installed on your computer.
- Install new X-CTU software from the X-CTU Software Page.
- Connect the MaxStream radio modem to an available COM port on the PC.
- Run X-CTU.exe program, (there is an Icon on the Windows desktop.).
- On the “PC Settings” tab of the software: select the correct COM port, select the baud rate that matches the baud rate of the module and leave the other settings at their defaults (None, 8, None, 1, from top to bottom).
- Select the “Modem Configuration” tab and press the “Read” parameters button to automatically detect the modem type. (If the software is unable to find configuration file then manually select correct modem type from the pull-down menu). Select desired firmware version from the “Version” pull-down menu.
- Press the “Write” parameters button to load new firmware.
- Press “Restore” module defaults – to reset the module.
- Firmware update is now complete.
- Do not hesitate to contact MasTec with any questions.
Note: XStream radio modems with firmware versions 4.28D and higher are field-upgradeable. XCite modems with firmware versions that end in B and higher are field-upgradeable. XTend radios greater than 121 are field-upgradeable. All XBee/XBee-PRO modems are field-upgreadeable.
I have successfully upgraded Zigbee chips using this method.
If you have OEM Zigbee modules, open the module and pull out the chip and mount in the digi PCB and reprogram it an replace in OEM module, this is the only way for some modules as they do not have serial or USB connection only wireless.
Some products like the wall mount router cannot be reprogrammed at present but tools will soon allow this.